The management and research Section is responsible for gathering data on game and fish species in order to make recommendations on hunting and fishing rules and regulations, including permit numbers, bag limits, season dates and lengths, legal sporting arms, etc. Data is collected from harvested big game, hunter survey cards and aerial surveys.

Big game species present on the Navajo Nation include mule deer, rocky mountain elk, Merriam’s turkey, pronghorn, black bear, desert bighorn sheep and mountain lion. Game fish species include rainbow trout, brown trout, cutthroat trout, an occasional brook trout, largemouth bass, northern pike and channel catfish. Small game species include squirrel, rabbits and prairie dogs. Additional species that can be hunted with a small game permit include furbearers, rodents, starlings, sparrows, wild dogs and feral cats. Furbearer species include coyote, red and gray foxes, bobcat, beaver, raccoon, badger, weasel, muskrat and skunks. Game bird species include waterfowl, doves, pigeons, pheasant, quail, chukar partridge and shore birds.

Information about big game, small game, game bird hunting and trapping is available in the Annual Fall Big Game Hunting and Trapping Proclamation, which is available on about May 1 of each year; the 2014-15 Proclamation is now available for downloading. Or, to be placed on a mailing list to receive the Proclamation, you can call (928) 871-6451 at the beginning of each calendar year. You may also view maps of each Big Game Hunting Unit from this site, and read the verbal description of each unit in the Proclamation.

Information on Fishing Regulations is available. General fishing information and lake locations are also available. Annual Stocking Information is also available. Information about the Navajo Nation Fish Hatchery is also available. The Fish hatchery is a popular location for school groups to visit.

The Management and Research Section is also responsible for processing applications for Scientific Collecting, Biological Investigation and Ceremonial Permits. More information about these permits is available at Biological Investigation Permits.